Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Welcoming the wedding spirit!




A set of male and female statues have been installed in the pooja room at home to welcome the wedding spirit. The statues depicting a bride and groom represents the wedding spirit and is considered a good omen.


Yesterday, Appa (father) bought Ashwin his "reception" (the evening not so traditional meet and greet event) clothes, a pair of formal pants and a few shirts.

On Friday there will be a little break from the wedding fever while I go for my visa interview.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how cute! Are these statues made of wood? Are they painted in black?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the black color of the statues intended to ward off the evil eye? This is super neat - love the clothes on the dolls. Do you get to keep the dolls later? I can see you doing a kolu with them - then we can get you to sing to the doll... and the Dolly gundan can chime in. She has a lot to say these days. Chili says Thangali is in Boston, and so is aunty - we've to teach her to say aunty and uncle now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Why don't you post a picture of your wedding saree?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are called Marapachi dolls. Yes they are wood and painted black. I am not sure if the black is to ward off evil.
    OMG I completely forgot that marriage brings along with it the "aunty" status! I tried to avoid that so long!
    Priya your request has been fulfilled in part- the reception saree pics are now uploaded!

    ReplyDelete